National Interstate is a member of Great American Insurance Group. As one of the leading commercial transportation insurers in the nation, we offer risk financing solutions in all 50 states tailored to meet the needs of a wide variety of transportation classes. Our offerings include traditional insurance and innovative alternative risk transfer (ART) programs, including more than a dozen group captive programs catering to niche wheels markets. We are proud to be a multiple Northcoast 99 winner and Cleveland Plain Dealer Top Workplace in Northeast Ohio. It is because of our talented and dedicated team that we are able to live out our company values of integrity, transparency, fairness, accountability, empowerment and collaboration with each transaction we make. If you are ready to join an engaging and driven team such as ours, we would love to hear from you!
• Supervises claims activities and provides file guidance on cases being handled by outside counsel:
o Reviews and determines coverage and/or liability.
o Affects settlements and reserves within prescribed levels.
o Responsible for maintaining control of files and litigation costs.
o Assigns cases to outside counsel, performs oversight, and evaluates their performance.
o Develops, prepares, and implements Claims Litigation strategy, including affecting settlements/reserves within prescribed limits.
o Provides legal advice and counsel to Claims personnel.
o Works toward resolution of files and attends arbitrations, mediations, and trials, but is not attorney of record.
• Coordinates the work activities within the unit. Responsible for day-to-day work and procedures. Assigns and checks work.
• Responsible for performance and coaching of staff and has a participatory role in decisions regarding talent selection, development, and performance management. Provides training to new members of the team.
• May prepare for and attend trials as legal representation for insureds and/or the company.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
LLM (Master of Law) or JD (Juris Doctorate) and current attorney license required.
Field of Study:
6 to 10 years of related experience, 0 to 2 years of leadership experience.
Scope of Job:
Typically manages 2 or more reports. Responsible for setting the priorities and day-to-day tasks for the team. May spend portion of time performing the work of those they supervise. Decisions guided by policies and procedures under limited supervision.